Friday, October 28, 2011

Smoked Clam Chowder (dairy and corn free)

I had some tins of smoked clams hanging out in my pantry so I decided to put them to use! I always love clam chowder but I don't cook with much dairy or corn at home since it does not seem to agree well with some of the  members of our family so I needed to come up with some new ideas. I found some canned coconut milk and a sweet potato in the pantry too and decided to use these. Then I looked in my Abundant Harvest Organics box and found some zuchinni, carrots, and onions. I always have homemade chicken broth on hand in my deep freezer and while I was getting that I found a bag of frozen chopped kale. I am in love with kale so I decided that was going in too! I did not have celery like you find in some clam chowders so I put in extra zucchini.

The results were pretty tasty! I think the smokiness of the clams gave it a really good twist. Jad ate it for dinner the first night and then breakfast, lunch, and dinner the next day. He would close his mouth to other things, he only wanted the tasty chowder! I wasn't complaining since all the ingredients were organic and full of fiber and vitamins and the clams are a great source of iron and protein too.

Ingredients:
Fresh or dried thyme
1 can coconut milk (or you can use 2 cans if you want it extra creamy)
2 cups chicken broth (homemade is best!)
3 cans of smoked clams
1 big sweet potato
zucchini and or summer squash 
celery (or bok choy or extra zucchini or other summer squash)
expeller pressed coconut oil
kale
salt and lemon pepper for seasoning

Instructions:
Chop up the onion and saute it in your soup pot in the coconut oil

While the onion is cooking chop up the rest of your veggies. If you are using bok choy save the leaves on the side with your Kale an just add the chopped stem to the pile of chopped veggies.

When the onions are soft and a little caramelized add the rest of the veggies (except the kale) and the Thyme to the pot. Then pour in the coconut milk and the chicken broth.

Bring everything to a boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

Add in the kale (and bok choy leaves if you are using those) and simmer for another 5 minutes.

Then add in the smoked clams and all the oil in the can with them. Simmer for 5 minutes more.

If you have an immersion hand blender use it to puree just some of the soup to thicken it. Alternatively you can pour some of the soup in a blender and puree it and then pour that back into the pot.If you want to eat the clams whole in the soup add them after the puree step.

Crack some fresh sea salt and lemon pepper on top when you serve it into bowls.

Enjoy!

I am going to make this again tomorrow but this time I am going to use yu choy and summer squash because that is what I got in my recent Abundant Harvest Organics box along with some kale I ordered as an add-on.

Ma would have always used what was on hand and what she had growing in the garden. I am trying to make things simpler for myself by doing the same. My garden just happens to be what I get from many different farmers in California who put things in my weekly Abundant Harvest Organics box!

If you try this with any variations please share your results in a comment!

No comments: