Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Real Story: Why I gave up the Gym

 Why did I give up the gym? Short answer: I gave up going to the gym for my 3 kids and our dog.
Natalie

Jonathan
Jad

Ruby

This is one of those things that makes me wish I could be Ma because she wouldn't even have to worry about such things. There was no "gym", living her daily life was a good work out! Sadly most of my daily life involves sitting in a chair in front of a computer because I work remotely from my home as an Instructional Designer, full time, some time over time.

So...I need to get off my tush and do SOMETHING! Enter the whole gym dilemma. I use to do hard core CrossFit 5 days a week for about two years during the time when my two older kids were 2-4 and 4-6. That was before the dog and baby number 3. That was a lot of fun and I was in great shape. Then I got too busy with work and then I moved and became pregnant and it was "bye bye CrossFit."

When baby number 3 was about 6 or 7 months I got a YMCA gym membership because they provide free daycare for as many kids as you have up to 2 hours each time you come work out. I tried taking some yoga, zumba, and pilates classes. Most of the time I had to leave early because the child care people would come and get me because the baby was crying non-stop so that never really took off.

Then this past August I did a CrossFit Women's boot camp and got my butt back in gear. The only downside was that the kids HATED going with me and waiting in the little kid pit while I worked out for 1 hour+ The baby was in there with them too and that always made me nervous when other big kids were in there and it was so dirty in there too that it kind grossed me out seeing him crawl around and put the icky toys in his mouth. BUT I was still all geared up to sign up for the regular classes anyway starting in September.

Then school started and in came the attack of the homework! Natalie started 4th Grade this year and the homework has doubled. Jonathan goes to a full Spanish Immersion school and I do not speak Spanish so his homework is always a challenge even though he is only in 1st Grade.

The reality is that there just isn't enough time to get all the homework done and try to fit in the gym too because I do want to actually have some fun with my kids and interact with them beyond homework time and other daily routines and chores.Let's not forget how expensive the gym is too right? That never comes cheap, especially when we are talking about CrossFit! One other big thing is the fact that I am already inside all day working or I am driving in a car taking my kids two and from school or activities, why in the heck do I want to then go back inside building so I can work out inside? Fresh air anyone? Maybe a little dose of vitamin D from the sun? I live in San Diego so I can go outside every day of the year, even if it rains there is always at least some part of the day where the rain stops and if it doesn't I do have an umbrella and some rain boots!

So taking all that into consideration I decided to ditch the whole "going to work out at the gym" thing and just get my booty outside at least once a day doing something active with my kids and/or my dog. And you wanna know what? Since I have changed gears towards this I actually DO get my booty outside and do something active once a day, even if it is only a 10 minute power walk with my dog. And you know what else? Being outside is AWESOME! I never realized how little time I was actually getting outside and what a difference getting outside more often could make.

Now instead of dragging my 3 grumpy kids to the gym daycare and leaving my dog home alone depressed in her doggy bed, we all go outside together and have some fun! I usually walk briskly and push Jad in his car or a stroller and Jonathan always rides a bike or scooter. Natalie will ride her scooter or just walk with me and talk or she will take turns walking the dog or pushing the baby. We even went on a hike a few weekends ago and I wore Jad on my back in the Ergo and that was great. I really miss going on hikes so I plan to start going on more of them!

Maybe I will go back to the gym one day but I don't see that happening any time soon and I am finally actually ok with that. Gym guilt trip be gone! I am too busy outside playing with my kids and my pup exploring our hood.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Most of the time I had to leave early because the child care people would come and get me because the baby was crying non-stop so that never really took off.

Oh No! I am in that phase now. Last week my karate instructor let me take class with August strapped on my back because he would not settle. I may have to drop that too :o( but as you so rightfully state getting my butt outside will probably be the best fit for us. They love riding in my bike trailer and I have a beautiful ride along the Potomac river. Unlike San Diego though I do have some cold and wet to slog through.

It’s all good though. Kids are fun – and I cannot wait to get a dog this summer!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Holiday Jenn. Thanks again for writing your blog. Safety in numbers :o)