Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Toddler Recipe: Almond Banana Flax Meal (Dairy, Egg, & Grain free)

Ma probably never made this but I am sure she did serve her babies bowls of some kind of  mush. Why? Because it its easy and delicious and fun for toddlers to spoon into their mouths!

I came up with this the other day when I was looking for something new for Jad. The requirements were something that he could try eating by himself with a spoon and it also needed to have a good amount of fat and calories.

Babies and toddlers need lots of good fat for brain development so I have been looking for ways to get more fat into Jad's diet. The mainstream way is to give your baby lots of full fat whole milk products but that doesn't work for all of us. Some of us have allergies.


I got my inspiration from a ripe banana sitting on the counter. I mashed that up and then looked around to see what else I could add.  Here is what I ended up with:
  • mashed ripe banana
  • runny almond butter
  • sesame seed paste
  • flax seed meal*
*flax seed meal is not something I use more than once a week since it is very high in phytoestrongens which are chemical compounds that can mimic estrogen in the body. This could easily be replaced with almond meal or any nut meal.  

I did not measure the ingredients I just added things and mixed them all up. I think it was about a teaspoon of the almond butter, 1/2 of a teaspoon of sesame seed paste, and maybe a tablespoon of flax seed meal.

Jad happily ate it all up so I would say it was a hit! It kept him full too which can be a challenge. I was happy to be able to fill him up with healthy whole foods and a dose of good fat.

This would also work well with other nut butters or coconut butter. Jad eats a LOT of coconut butter!

Apple or pear sauce would also be a good base if you do not have banana on hand.

Almond meal or almond flour would also work in place of the flax meal (as explained above)

The point is to get creative and use what you have. That is what Ma would have done!

Happy mashing, mixing, and spoon feeding!

No comments: