Friday, December 23, 2011

Recipe: Egg "Brownies"

I don't think Ma ever made these. The idea came to me when I was dealing with an oven door that only opened up 1/3 of the way.

I usually make egg muffins every Sunday to have on hand for the week. This was not going to be an option with an oven door that would not open all the way.

Jonathan and I decided to beat the eggs anyway.
Then greased our biggest rectangle glass baking dish and put it in oven and I carefully poured the egg mixture into the pan while it was already. If you have an oven door that actually opens you do this the easy way and pout the egg mix in the dish and then place it in the oven.

We kept this REALLY simple but you can add any veggies or meats or cheeses to the egg mix for more flavor. My kids love it when I added already cooked diced bacon and shredded cheddar cheese to the mix. If you want to add veggies or meats I find it is best to dice them and saute them in a pan and then stir them into the egg mix before you pour it into the greased baking dish. One of my favorite combos is caramelized onion and green or colored sweet peppers.

The ingredients this time were:

eggs (I think we ended up using 14 eggs! Use about 8 if you are using a smaller baking dish)
melted butter (probably 2 or 3 TBS)*
coconut milk (a few splashes)**
sea salt (a good pinch, about 1/4 of a teaspoon)
baking soda ( about 1 tsp)***

*This can be replaced with expeller pressed coconut or avocado oil or palm shortening to make this dairy free
**Heavy cream works or regular milk or any alternative milk
***baking powder works too

The melted butter seemed to float to the top which turned into a nice layer of crispy butter flakes. This was a nice tasty surprise when we were eating them later.

When they came out of the oven and I cut them up into squares Jonathan came up with the idea to call them Egg "Brownies" because they did kind of look like little yellow brownies!

Take a look at this picture and decide for yourself what you would call them.

Definitely try making these, you will not be disappointed! Ours did not last very long.

No comments: