Friday, November 18, 2011

Weekly Meal Planner using Produce from my Abundant Harvest Organics Box

There is a chill in the air and it is really feeling like fall! It definitely looks like fall in our little kitchen.

Our weekly box from Abundant Harvest Organics definitely had a fall theme as well. This is what we got:

fuyu persimmons
fuji apples
lettuce
sweet potatoes
broccoli
garlic chives (looks like blades of grass)
brown potatoes
spinach
fresh sage
carrots
beets

    I also bought a lot of yummy add on items this week. Here is a list of what I bought that
    I will be using in some of my meals. Most of the squash will be baked whole and served to my toddler, he eats a TON of squash everyday.

    kale
    radishes
    BIG Napa cabbage
    butternut squash
    kabocha squash
    spaghetti squash
    chocolate mint (I have this hanging up in my garage to dry and use for tea)


    I have been really cold working early in the morning or late at night in my little sun room so I have been craving soup. You will notice this in my meal ideas for this week.


    Meal 1:
    Apple, beet, & persimmon salad
    Boil the beets and slice them up or you can roast them. I love to roast them! If you don't mind cutting them raw you can do that and then toss them in oil and roast them on a foil lined pan at 425 or 450 for about 20 minutes.
    Take them out when they start to brown and get crisp. You may need to cook them longer than 20 minutes.
    I always use good olive oil and balsamic vinegar as my dressing.
    (Yes I still have a lot of persimmons that I have been collecting from over the weeks from my boxes, pomegranates too. Next week I will probably look into some other recipes for using these. For now they look pretty in my basket on the table!)


    Meal 2:
    Sage, apple, & onion sausage soup (add cabbage if you have some!)
    I made this yesterday and it was REALLY GOOD! Definitely going to become a new favorite around here.
    I  diced onion and added it to my soup pot with some expeller pressed coconut oil.
    Next I added the fresh sage. I cut it with my kitchen shears right over the pot.
    After I let this caramelize for a while I diced one apple and tossed that in too.
    Then I added about 6 chicken apple sausages. I buy a 3 pack from Costco, the brand is Aidelle's
    I cooked this for about 15 minutes, not too much stirring. I was trying to let it get some good color and I kept scraping the bottom of the pot to add that all back in.
    After I had this nice and brown I added my Napa cabbage in. I had chopped it up ahead of time.
    I let this cook and added a little salt and pepper and some dried sage (also an add-on purchase)
    After about 10 minutes I added enough water to just cover the ingredients.
    I let it simmer for about 15 minutes and then it was ready to eat!
    It tasted even better today when I ate the last of it for lunch.

    Meal 3:
    Veggie Soup
    I use the slow cooker crock pot for this one.
    Add sliced carrots, brown potato, spinach, garlic chives, diced or sliced onion and some garlic cloves if you have them to your pot and your herbs of choice. I have a dried herb mix that I bought as an add on item that I use. Fill the pot with water just up to the top of your ingredients. Turn it on low and come back 6 to 8 hours later to enjoy! Your house will smell great too!
    I LOVE sun dried tomatoes so I always keep a big jar from Costco on hand or a bag from Whole foods. It adds a lot of yummy flavor to veggie soup so it will definitely be going in mine.
    I also bought a turkey Kielbasa sausage so that will be going in as well.
    I will probably use chicken broth instead of water too since I have some in the freezer.
    Cabbage tastes really good in this soup, just put it in 1 hour to 30 minutes before you serve so it doesn't get over cooked.

    Meal 4:
    Sweet Potato Soup (great with Kale if you have some)
    Dice some onion and get that caramelizing in a pot with some butter or oil.
    Wash and peel your sweet potatoes and chop them up. Add them to your pot. If you have some extra squash on hand you can add that too.
    Add a can of coconut milk or some heavy cream and milk if you prefer that.
    Then add enough water to cover all of your ingredients.
    Simmer for about 25 minutes.
    Use an immersion blender to thicken it up or pour it into a blender and puree it all. Or you can just eat it chunky!
    If you have Kale like I do, add that next. I bought mine as an add on this week.
    Simmer for about 5 minutes more. Serve and enjoy!

    Meal 5:
    Steamed broccoli (serve with any meat or a fritatta)
    Wash your broccoli and cut the tops off the stems. You can all chop everything into smaller pieces for quicker cooking.
    Steaming is the best way to preserve all the nutrients.
    Pour melted butter or olive oil on top to give it some good fat and extra flavor.

    No comments: