Saturday, November 19, 2011

Cooking/Kitchen Tip: Foods to keep on Hand in your Kitchen

Ma had a garden right outside her door but she did not have a well stocked grocery store down the street like I do either. Still, who has time to run to the store all the time? Not me!

I get my weekly box of produce and add on items from Abundant Harvest Organics and now I only have to go to the store usually once every other week to stock up on staples.

Here is a list of staples I like to keep on hand in my kitchen. I shop at Costco, Trader Joe's, or Sprouts.


  • eggs
(Costco sells cage free organic eggs, 2 dozen for only $6! Can't beat that!)

  • chicken thighs
(cheaper than breasts, Costco sells a free range organic brand and AHO sells them as an add on)

  • ground grass fed beef
(AHO sells this as an add-on for a good price, some Sprouts have good prices too)

  • onions and/or shallots

  • greens
(kale is my favorite!  I always have frozen chopped kale from Whole Foods and  frozen organic chopped spinach in my deep freezer. AHO has lots of good greens to add on, I usually buy some every week)

  • coconut milk canned and the so delicious brand unsweetened kind
(Trader Joe's makes this too now)

  • lots of spices
(I buy a lot of these from AHO as add ons.  I have 4 different kinds of basil from AHO. Trader Joe's also has great deals on spices in grinder bottles)

  • jarred items like sun dried tomatoes, olives, and capers

  • good olive oil and balsamic vinegar

  • coconut oil
(expeller pressed and extra virgin, the expeller pressed has no coconut flavor, I bought a bucket of this oil from wildernessfamilynaturals.com)

  • kerry gold butter
(this is grass fed cow butter, Costco sometimes has a 3 pack and Trader Joe's sells them individually. The kids really like butter so I haven't asked them to give that up.)

  • winter squash

No comments: