Tuesday, November 15, 2011

7 Layer Taco Dip (Dairy & Legume Free)

Ma definitely would NOT have made this but she did not grow up eating Taco Bell as a child so she doesn't have to battle those crazy cravings!

I avoid beans these days and limit dairy to a few times a week because honestly I just feel a lot better when I do! I had a BIG craving for a taco dip the other day so I got to work on making a healthy version of taco dip, healthy by primal standards.
Ingredients:
1 or 2 lb grass fed beef
fajita or taco seasoning
hot sauce
diced onions
full fat coconut milk
can of sliced black olives
can of roasted mild green chilies
fresh made guacamole
fresh diced tomato

  • Cook the grass-fed ground beef with diced onion and add in fajita or taco seasoning. I bought fajita seasoning in a spice jar at Sprouts.
  • If you like it spicier add in some hot sauce to the meat. I added some Chalula.
  • Spread the cooked meat into a dish or into individual bowls or ramekins if you are making this for more than just yourself.
  • Drizzle some canned coconut milk over the meat mixture. I used Thai Kitchen brand organic canned, this is the sour cream replacement. I wanted to use coconut cream but I did not have the patience to wait. If you put a can of coconut milk in the refrigerator for at least a day when you open the can all the cream will be on top separated from the water. If you have done this you can put this as the layer over the meat instead but trust me the drizzle of the milk is really good so don't sweat it if you don't have the cream. You can also use good quality full fat sour cream if you eat dairy or are eating dairy the day you make this!
  • Top this with a can of mild roasted green chilies.
  • Then spread on some fresh made guacamole (just avocado with Chalula, lime juice, and salt and pepper). You can use pre-made guacamole too.
  • Lay the sliced black olives on top.
  • Then finally top it all with fresh diced tomato.

I ended up eating half of it for lunch and then the other half cold for breakfast the next morning. I have yet to make it again for the whole family but I am sure they would love it! The coconut milk really held all the meat together nicely the next day when I ate it as leftovers cold.

If you eat chips this would be great with chips! I was going to make some homemade potato, rutabaga, and turnip chips to dip into this but I got lazy and I just grabbed a spoon. I don't feel the greatest when I eat corn, especially processed corn products so I try to avoid them. I can tell you that this dip was so good that I truly did not miss the chips at all!

No comments: