Tuesday, March 6, 2012

What Would Ma Do? She Would Put Family First!

Thanksgiving at YMCA Family Camp in Julian, CA
Some of you may be wondering why this blog has gone silent for a few weeks. I am here tonight to answer just that question!

First I am going to pose a question about "Ma". When things got crazy in Ma's life what do you think she did? When I say crazy I mean
Pa is out of town, the crops need extra love, the hens are having trouble laying, one of the horses has a hurt foot, the weather is extreme outside etc. That kind of thing. I am thinking Ma would focus on just getting through the major MUST HAPPEN tasks each day. During times like these she probably did not get much time to work on any of her special sewing projects.

Or if we are talking about Laura in the context of "Ma", any of her writing projects would go on hold during busy times. Laura did a lot of writing for in journals and for magazines before she ever wrote the Little House books. Writing was one of her loves. But I can bet that writing had to take a back burner sometimes when things got extra "crazy" in her life.

In my case extra "crazy" involves things like
our "Pa" having to work REALLY late MANY nights in a row, Natalie preparing to be in a 13 show run of Big River as Jo Harper and having to go to many rehearsals all over town, and my job getting super busy and requiring me to work a few 10 or 11 hour days more than once a week. Those extras on top of the usual homework, home cooking, dishes from the home cooking, cloth diapering, washing of the cloth diapers, grocery shopping, driving from school and back each day, trying to actually get outside and get some exercise, and maybe stretching out on the couch for at least 10 minutes some nights and relaxing meant there was little to no time left for me or anything extra like this blog.

This blog and writing is one of my loves, don't get me wrong! But the point of this blog is to write about living a simpler life taking wisdom from "Ma" and the Little House books. If I was staying up even later or ignoring any of my critical family duties to get some blog entries done this past few weeks that would have been going against my own message! I think Ma would approve of my period of silence from this blog this past few weeks. Ma always put family first. I admire that and I am trying my best to follow her lead.

If I go missing again any time in the future now you will know why and I hope you are ok with that. Please share your thoughts in a comment! I would love to hear about how "crazy" things get for you sometimes and what you have to give up to keep on keeping on.

The good news is that we were still eating very well during the "crazy" and we did sneak in an actual hike out in a sunny canyon one Sunday and we also had THREE great walks at the bay which all included some playground time for the kiddos. Putting family first feels right and it is a whole lot of fun sometimes too!


No comments: